Monday, February 20, 2012

Making Progress

Tonight I got to stay up late (just like a little kid) thanks to a day off tomorrow.  So I spent about 2 hours or so cutting pieces for my quilt.  According to my calculations (yes, I did calculations), I need 361 6x6" squares to make it.  And I currently have 323.  I think I cut about 100 of those tonight!

I've used about 38 different fabrics I think, which uses up MOST of the random fat quarters I've bought over the years.  I do a lot of "Ooh! This is pretty! I'm sure I'll use it for something..." when buying my fabric.  Most of that was from The Quilt Show that mom and I have gone to in year's past.  We're going again this year, which is this coming weekend!  I'm so excited, but also hoping I don't buy too much more to put into my stash, after I've worked so hard to clean it out!

Tonight  I also learned to spend a few extra bucks on better tools.  And a metal corked-backed ruler that works great in design/screenprinting, does NOT work against the edge of a rotary blade! (Not to mention that awful metal on metal sound, yeatch!)

In college I learned "A good carpenter never blames his tools."  Well, this is still true of course, but if your tools are crap, even if you are a good carpenter, your house might still fall down.  Or something like that.  So perhaps if my el cheapo rotary cutting blade lasts through this project, and if I still want to quilt ever again, I will spend the money to buy a name brand one.


So here is a picture of my 323 pieces all cut out and waiting to be sewed together.  I'm hoping the cat doesn't start attacking the stringy sides.


And here is what I have sewn together so far, which I did last Sunday.  If you look closely enough you might notice that I have 18 sewn together, and then two 9 patches.  I'm hoping to put them together tomorrow.


And of course, here is Miss Lula, getting all up in the action.  She's ready for her close up, apparently.  She's also ready for bed, which she's expressed by sitting ever closer to my laptop, to the point that she is trying to close the screen with her rump.  She's talented like that.

I can't wait to sew more of this together!  It's becoming my real creative release!  But for now, I will appease the kitten and get to bed.  Maybe it actually will snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment